Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Favorite: The SPCA Annex in the Mall

From time to time I’ll post a blog about my favorite things in the Ithaca area.  I’d like to start with the SPCA annex in the mall!  The Tompkins County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is a great organization that finds “forever homes” for cats, dogs, rabbits, and pretty much any animal you could think of.  The Tompkins County SPCA is a no-kill, open admission shelter.  I highly recommend visiting their main shelter at 1640 Hanshaw Road. 

However, today I want to sing the praises of the SPCA Annex.  By opening this storefront, the SPCA smartly keeps their adoptable animals on the forefront of mall goers minds.  They also help to make the mall great place to visit on a rainy day.  When my 4 year old was a baby, the only place in the mall that really appealed to kids was the pet store.  Now the mall has Niki’s Party Place (bounce houses), Glow Golf, the arcade, and the SPCA (what my kids like to call “The Kitty Store”). My kids love to play with the cats using the cat toys available (if you can’t find a toy, ask an SPCA employee and they’ll find one for you). There’s an area near the back with toys and books that’s a great spot to kill a little time.  On Mondays at 11 they host a Storytime there too.  Best of all, this little nook is quiet and secluded.  Back when I was nursing, I found it to be the comfiest place in the mall to feed my youngest.  Plus the toys and books kept my toddler happy at the same time.

As great as the annex is, it is expensive for the SPCA to keep staffed.  They’ve had to reduce their hours of operation to 11-7 Monday -Saturday and 11-6 on Sundays.  However, it’s easy to help keep this great place running.  If every family visiting the annex dropped a dollar into their donation box, it would be more than enough to keep the annex afloat.  The Annex also accepts donations of everything from cat toys to paper plates.  For a full list of items needed, check out their web page.

Although we haven’t adopted an animal from the SPCA (our 10 year old cat wouldn’t stand for it!), they make it easy to find an animal that would be good for your home, creating and updating their animals' personality profiles on a regular basis. 

And finally, full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with the SPCA.  I just love what they do and I love the smiles that their store in the mall brings to the faces of my kids.  They get excited every time they drop a dollar bill in the box to help feed the kitties.  Hope your kids do too!.

No comments:

Post a Comment