Thursday, December 1, 2011

Last push for Thanksgiving leftovers!

Thanksgiving was a week ago and we still had a little turkey left.  We ate it til we were sick of the taste, then we started to hide it.  I successfully hid it in taco salad, but my greatest victory was hiding it in a yummy peanut sauce noodle salad.

I had a recipe I hadn’t used in a while and thought I’d modify it using the turkey and whatever else we had in the fridge.  It turned out DELICIOUS so I thought I’d share it. I was really lenient with measuring and it still turned out great.  I’ll put up the original recipe plus my substitutions and additions.

Hot or Cold Chicken Peanut Salad
2 bundles (about 6 oz) of Soba noodles (any noodles will do, though)
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup low-fat sour cream (I was out so I used yogurt -all I had was vanilla)
1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce or to taste (again, out, so I used Buffalo wings sauce)
1 tablespoon cider or white vinegar
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (I used powdered)
1/3 cup orange juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 cups roughly chopped cooked and cooled chicken (Turkey!!!)
2 large carrots, diced
3 scallions, chopped (I used onion!)
Fresh cilantro (I used TONS because I love it!)
(I also added the leftover corn we had on hand)

Cook the noodles as directed and drain. 

In a large saucepan, cook veggies for about 5 minutes (carrots should still be crunchy).

Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine the peanut butter, sour cream, hot sauce, vinegar, ginger and orange juice. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thick, add orange juice or water until it is pourable.

Throw all ingredients, including fresh cilantro in a large bowl and mix until all ingredients are well coated. The salad can be refrigerated or served immediately.  When eating it the second time around, I liked it better lukewarm than cold.

It doesn't look pretty, but it tastes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment