Friday, January 6, 2012

It’s A Rainbow Unicorn Birthday Party! (part 1)

I’m no professional baker, but I really enjoy making special cakes, especially custom birthday cakes for my kids.  I’ve made a cat, a monkey face, a hot air balloon, and a “tree with yellow leaves.”  Yes, she wanted a tree.  So when I asked Nora what she wanted for her birthday cake, and she told me “A unicorn jumping over a rainbow!” I could have jumped over a rainbow myself!

After several weeks of double checking that this was indeed what she wanted, the Rainbow Unicorn themed birthday party was a go! 


Cake:
White cake + gel food coloring + bunt pan = RAINBOW MAGIC!
Strategic cutting - Don’t cut the cake down the middle, but more like 2/3 down. 

Frosting - I piped the color on then smeared it down.
Added chunks of white frosting for the clouds and done!

Since I didn’t think I had the ability to make a fondant unicorn, I found the jumping unicorn online by Schleich and propped it behind the cake using some little stacking cups as a stand and hot glue.

Decorations:
Rainbow shaped twist balloons,

Rainbow colored silverware, cups, tablecloth, food etc.

Large inflatable rainbow (from our baby pool) for the gift area

And rainbow gift bags with rainbow & unicorn goodies inside that I didn't get a picture of.

Entertainment:
Unicorn tattoos and rainbow face paint & drop the cloud through the rainbow games (no pics).

Limbo under the rainbow stick

Rainbow Pinata (tutorial here in "It's a Rainbow Unicorn Birthday Party part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment